Stock Index Futures Up on Limited News

STOCK INDEX FUTURES

Stock index futures are higher on limited news.

The Chicago Federal Reserve national activity index for April was 0.47, which compares to the expected 0.50.

Markets are looking ahead to a speech by Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell, scheduled for Tuesday, and the Federal Open Market Committee minutes from the May 4 policy meeting on Wednesday for clues on the central bank’s rate-hike path.

CURRENCY FUTURES

The U.S. dollar index has been in an uptrend since May 2021. However, futures have underperformed in the last two weeks. This suggests traders may be sensing that later this year the Federal Reserve may back-off of its hawkishness.

The euro currency advanced after European Central Bank President Lagarde said the central bank is likely to exit negative interest rates by the end of the third quarter.

The Ifo Business Climate indicator for Germany unexpectedly increased to a 3-month high of 93.0 in May from an upwardly revised 91.9 in April, which is above market expectations of 91.4. Both current conditions and expectations improved.  The Ifo index is based on a poll of approximately 9,000 companies in manufacturing, services, trade and construction.

Interest rate differential expectations are turning neutral for the currency markets.

INTEREST RATE MARKET FUTURES

The 30-year Treasury bond futures are lower today, after advancing to a three-week high last Wednesday.

Raphael Bostic of the Federal Reserve will speak at 11:00 central time.

Financial futures markets are predicting there is a 92.3% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will hike its fed funds rate by 50 basis points and a 7.7% probability that the  rate will increase by 75 basis points at the June 15 policy meeting.

The interest rate market futures appear to be making a bottom on the charts.

Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.

ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.                  

A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.

© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.

Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone.  Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition.  The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM.  The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared.  The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets.  However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.

Latest News & Market Commentary

Explore the latest edition of The Ghost in the Machine

Explore Now