FOMC Meeting this Week


Stock index futures are higher despite disappointing guidance from several technology companies. Overall though, earnings season has been reasonably strong so far with over 80.0% of companies that have reported to date beating analysts’ expectations, according to Refinitiv.

Investors are awaiting the Federal Reserve’s policy meeting on Wednesday for more signals on the pace of monetary tightening, with markets anticipating another rate hike to counter the highest inflation in decades.

The 8:45 central time April PMI manufacturing final index is expected to be 59.4.

The 9:00 April Institute for Supply Management manufacturing index is anticipated to be 58.0 and the 9:00 March construction activity report is predicted to show a 0.8% increase.

The dominant influences remain geopolitical tensions and the hawkish Federal Reserve.


The U.S. dollar index is higher and is near 20-year highs.

Interest rate differential expectations suggest higher prices are likely for the greenback.

The euro currency is lower  on news that  euro zone manufacturing growth weakened further.

The S&P global euro zone manufacturing purchasing managers index fell to a 15-month low of 55.5 in April from 56.5 in March.

Retail sales in Germany unexpectedly edged 0.1% lower month-over-month in March of 2022, compared to market forecasts of a 0.3% increase.

Lower prices are likely for the euro currency.

The British pound is lower even though the  Bank of England will likely hike interest rates for a fourth straight meeting on Thursday, bringing borrowing costs to 1.0%, which is their highest level in 13 years.

The Swiss franc is trading near two-year lows after the Swiss National Bank said it does not plan to deviate from its ultra-loose monetary policy any time soon, as Chairman Jordan said current levels of inflation are temporary.

The Japanese yen is lower and is near its lowest level in 20 years. Recent pressure on the yen is linked to the Bank of Japan’s firm commitment to maintain ultra-easy monetary policies, which contrast sharply with other major central banks that are hiking interest rates.

Interest rate differential expectations remain bearish for the Japanese yen and lower prices are likely.


The Federal Reserve’s next monetary policy-setting meeting will be held on Tuesday and Wednesday. The central bank will release its latest policy statement and hold a press conference with Fed Chair Jerome Powell Wednesday afternoon.

Currently there is a 99.1% probability of a 50 basis point increase and a 0.9% probability of a 75 basis point hike in the fed funds rate.

Economists see two half-point hikes followed by a series of quarter-point increases.

The Fed is also expected to formally announce that it will begin quantitative tightening, or rolling assets off of its $9.0 trillion balance sheet.

Lower prices are likely across the board for the interest rate market futures as most major central banks are anticipated to tighten credit policies this year.

Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.

ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.                  

A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.

© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.

Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone.  Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition.  The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM.  The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared.  The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets.  However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.

Latest News & Market Commentary

Explore the latest edition of The Ghost in the Machine

Explore Now