Weak Housing Reports Pressure Indices


Stock index futures are lower after Minneapolis Federal Reserve Bank President Neel Kashkari said the central bank might need to lift its policy rate above 4.75% if underlying inflation continues to accelerate.

Mortgage demand hit its lowest level since 1997, according to the Mortgage Bankers Association. Mortgage applications fell 4.5% in the week ending October 14, which is the fourth consecutive decline. Applications to purchase a home loan decreased 3.7% and the refinancing index dropped 6.8%.

key in door

Yesterday it was reported that the October housing market index declined for the 10th straight month to 38 when 44 was expected.

Housing starts in September were 1.439 million when 1.475 million were anticipated.

The  Federal Reserve will release its “Beige Book” on the economy at 1:00 central time. This book is produced approximately two weeks before the monetary policy meetings of the Federal Open Market Committee. On each occasion, a different Federal Reserve district bank compiles anecdotal evidence on economic conditions from each of the 12 Federal Reserve districts.


The U.S. dollar index is higher after Neel Kashkari’s hawkish comments.

Although higher today, the greenback has been underperforming the news in recent weeks.

The euro zone annual inflation rate was revised slightly down to 9.9% in September 2022 from a preliminary estimate of 10.0%.

The Swiss Franc remains near parity with the U.S. dollar, closing in on the lowest level since May 2019 as the difference between interest rates in Switzerland and in the U.S. remains wide.

The Japanese yen fell to another new 32-year low. Bank of Japan Governor Kuroda recently said it is not appropriate for Japan to raise interest rates now.


Futures are lower due to  hawkish comments from Neel Kashkari.

The Treasury will auction 20-year bonds.

Federal Reserve speakers today are Neel Kashkari at 12:00 and Charles Evans at 5:30.

According to financial futures markets, there is a 94.0% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will increase its fed funds rate by 75 basis points at the November 2 policy meeting and a 6.0% probability that the rate will be hiked by 50 basis points.

Last week there was a 2.0% probability that the FOMC could increase its fed funds rate by 100 basis points.


Interested in more futures markets?  Explore our Market Dashboards here.

Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.

ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.                  

A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.

© 2024 ADM Investor Services International Limited.

Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone.  Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition.  The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM.  The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared.  The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets.  However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.

Latest News & Market Commentary

Explore the latest edition of The Ghost in the Machine

Explore Now