US Dollar Continues to Underperform
The U.S. dollar index is lower and continues to underperform.
The euro currency advanced after European Central Bank Governing Council member Francois Villeroy de Galhau said the European Central Bank should keep raising interest rates, even at a reduced pace, until inflation excluding energy and food prices start to ease.
Industrial production in German increased 0.6% month-over-month in September of 2022, rebounding from an upwardly revised 1.2% decline in August and beating market forecasts of a 0.2% increase.
The S&P Global euro zone construction PMI declined to 44.9 in October 2022 from 45.3 in September, signaling a sixth consecutive monthly contraction in output. The housing sector contracted by the most since May 2020 and commercial projects declined at a faster rate.
STOCK INDEX FUTURES
Stock index futures are higher on renewed prospects of a less hawkish Federal Reserve later this year.
The 2:00 central time September consumer credit report is expected to show a $32.0 billion increase.
Stock index futures are performing well for the news.
INTEREST RATE MARKET FUTURES
On Friday Susan Collins of the Federal Reserve signaled support for continuing to hike interest rates but at a somewhat slower pace than the central bank has moved this year to avoid risks of too much tightening. She said, “In my view, smaller increments will often be appropriate as we work to determine how much tightening is needed to reach a level of the funds rate that is sufficiently restrictive. It is time to shift focus from how rapidly to raise rates, or the pace, to how high.”
Federal Reserve speakers today are Loretta Mester at 2:40, Susan Collins at 2:40 and Thomas Barkin at 5:00.
According to financial futures markets currently, there is a 57.0% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will increase its fed funds rate by 50 basis points at the December 14 meeting and a 43.0% probability that the rate will be hiked by 75 basis points.
I anticipate Federal Reserve speakers this week may walk back some of Fed Chair Powell’s hawkish comments that he made at his FOMC press conference on Wednesday.
Interested in more futures markets? Explore our Market Dashboards here.
Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.
ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.
A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.
© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.
Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone. Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition. The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM. The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared. The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets. However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.