US CPI Larger Than Expected


Stock index futures declined when the larger than expected consumer price index was released. The May consumer price index increased 1.0% when up 0.7% was expected and the consumer price index, excluding food and energy, was up 0.6% when a gain of 0.5% was anticipated.

Traders are watching economic data closely for clues about the Federal Reserve’s path for raising interest rates.

The 9:00 central time June consumer sentiment index is predicted to be 58.5%.


The U.S. dollar was higher in the overnight trade and gains were extended when the U.S. consumer price index was released.

The European Central Bank held its policy meeting yesterday and committed to a quarter-point increase in interest rates next month and opened the door to a larger hike in the fall as it confronts record inflation.

The yen advanced after Japanese policymakers made rare comments about its weakness.


Federal Reserve officials have indicated they plan to raise interest rates by half a percentage point at next week’s policy meeting, and by the same amount again in July.

Financial futures markets are predicting there is a 91.4% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will hike its fed funds rate by 50 basis points and an 8.6% probability that the  rate will increase by 75 basis points at the June 15 policy meeting.

The International Monetary Fund expects to further reduce its forecast for global economic growth in 2022 next month, according to an IMF spokesperson today, following moves by the World Bank and Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development to cut their own economic forecasts this week.

That would be the IMF’s third downgrade this year. In April, the IMF cut its forecast for global economic growth by almost a full percentage point to 3.6% in 2022 and 2023.

The World Bank on Tuesday cut its global growth forecast by almost a third to 2.9% for 2022.

A day later, the OECD cut its forecast by 1.5 percentage points to 3.0%.

The 30-year Treasury bond futures broke out above a two-week downtrend line before giving back the gains.

Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.

ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.                  

A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.

© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.

Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone.  Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition.  The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM.  The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared.  The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets.  However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.

Latest News & Market Commentary

Explore the latest edition of The Ghost in the Machine

Explore Now