S&P 500 Futures Higher for Third Day


S&P 500 futures are higher for a third day.

Personal income in April increased 0.4% when a gain of 0.6% was expected.

Wholesale inventories in April were up 2.1% when up 2.0% was anticipated.

The 9:00 central time May consumer sentiment index is predicted to be 59.1.

S&P 500 futures are trading above a major downtrend line.

The most significant change this week in the fundamentals is the belief that the Federal Open Market Committee later this year will pause its fed funds rate hike schedule.


The U.S. dollar index is lower, remaining at the lowest level in a month, on the growing belief that the Federal Open Market Committee may be less hawkish later this year.

The euro currency is steady after news that loans to households in the euro area increased 4.5% year-on-year in April of 2022, which was the same pace as in the previous month and the fastest since October 2008.

The Japanese yen is firmer. The Tokyo May core consumer price index on the year was up 1.9% when a gain of 2.0% was estimated.

Interest rate differential expectations are turning neutral for the currency markets.


Minutes of the May 4 FOMC meeting released on Wednesday showed that most participants believed that 50 basis point rate hikes would be appropriate at each of the next two meetings in June and July to get on top of inflation. However, many officials thought big, early increases will allow room to pause later in the year to assess the effects of that policy tightening.

December 22 fed funds futures yesterday advanced to almost a 6-week high, suggesting the FOMC later this year may be less hawkish than previously expected.

Financial futures markets are predicting there is a 96.8% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will hike its fed funds rate by 50 basis points and a 3.2% probability that the  rate will increase by 75 basis points at the June 15 policy meeting.

The interest rate market futures appear to be making a bottom on the charts, and the fundamentals are improving.

Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.

ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.                  

A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.

© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.

Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone.  Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition.  The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM.  The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared.  The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets.  However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.

Latest News & Market Commentary

Explore the latest edition of The Ghost in the Machine

Explore Now