Recovery in Stock Index Futures

STOCK INDEX FUTURES

U.S. stock index futures are higher after three days of heavy selling.

For this earnings season so far, 87.0% of the companies in the S&P 500 have reported results for the first quarter year-to-date as of Friday.

The dominant influences remain geopolitical tensions, the hawkish Federal Reserve and  economic headwinds.

CURRENCY FUTURES

The U.S. dollar index advanced to a new 20-year high yesterday and is higher today as expectations of further Federal Reserve monetary tightening to combat inflation and fears of slowing global economic growth drove investors into the safety of the U.S. dollar.

Interest rate differential expectations suggest higher prices are likely for the greenback.

The ZEW Indicator of Economic Sentiment for Germany improved to -34.3 in May of 2022 from a two-year low of -41.0 in April. This beat market forecasts of -42.0, as the outlook is slightly less pessimistic for the economic situation in Germany. In contrast, the current conditions index declined further to -36.5, which is the lowest in a year and worse than forecasts of -35.0.

The Japanese yen fell to a new 20-year low yesterday but is a little higher today.

Interest rate differential expectations remain bearish for the Japanese yen and lower prices are likely.

INTEREST RATE MARKET FUTURES

Federal Reserve Bank of New York President John Williams said today that lowering inflation from current levels is the U.S. central bank’s main mission right now.

Other Federal Reserve speakers today are Raphael Bostic at 7:30, Thomas Barkin at 8:15, Neel Kashkari at 12:00, Loretta Mester at 2:00 and Raphael Bostic at 6:00 PM.

The Treasury will auction three-year notes today.

Financial futures markets are predicting there is an 85.7% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will hike its fed funds rate by 50 basis points and a 14.3% probability that the  rate will increase by 75 basis points at the June 15 policy meeting.

Longer term, lower prices are likely across the board for the interest rate market futures as most major central banks are anticipated to tighten credit policies this year.

Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.

ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.                  

A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.

© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.

Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone.  Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition.  The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM.  The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared.  The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets.  However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.

Latest News & Market Commentary

Explore the latest edition of The Ghost in the Machine

Explore Now