PPI Up Less Than Expected


The April producer price index increased 0.5% as expected, and the producer price index, excluding food and energy, was up 0.4% when a gain of 0.6% was anticipated.

Jobless claims in the week ended May 7 were 203,000 when 190,000 were expected.

Some of the major downside chart objectives have been hit in the S&P 500 futures using the midway congestion pattern measured move technique.


The U.S. dollar index advanced to a new 20-year high.

Interest rate differential expectations suggest higher prices are likely for the greenback.

The British economy expanded 0.8% on the quarter in Q1 slowing from a 1.3% expansion in Q4 and below market forecasts of 1.0%.

Flight to quality buying is coming into the Japanese yen.

Longer term, interest rate differential expectations remain bearish for the Japanese yen and lower prices are likely.


Now is a good time to cover short positions in the interest rate market futures, since there are indications that the rate of inflation is peaking.

Mary Daly of the Federal Reserve will speak at 1:00.

The Treasury will auction 30-year bonds today.

Financial futures markets are predicting there is a 94.5% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will hike its fed funds rate by 50 basis points and a 5.5% probability that the  rate will increase by 75 basis points at the June 15 policy meeting.

Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.

ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.                  

A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.

© 2024 ADM Investor Services International Limited.

Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone.  Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition.  The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM.  The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared.  The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets.  However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.

Latest News & Market Commentary

Explore the latest edition of The Ghost in the Machine

Explore Now