Indexes Likely to Partially Recover This Afternoon


Stock index futures are lower after yesterday’s comments from Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell and European Central Bank President Christine Lagarde, which suggested they would keep hiking interest rates to rein in inflation even if their economies slowed.

Jobless claims in the week ended June 25 were 231,000 when 226,000 were expected.

Personal income in May increased 0.5% as anticipated, and personal consumption expenditures were up only 0.2% when a gain of 0.5% was estimated.

The 8:45 central time June Chicago PMI is predicted to be 58.4.

The rate of inflation remains the key driver to this market. A likely bottom could come when there are indications that the rate of inflation is slowing, which could influence the Federal Reserve to become less hawkish.

Futures are likely to at least partially recover this afternoon.


The U.S. dollar index is higher as interest rate differential expectations remain supportive, since the Federal Reserve is likely to hike interest rates more than other major central banks.

The U.S. dollar will probably continue to trade higher.

The euro currency is lower even though the jobless rate in the euro zone in May fell to 6.6% from a revised figure of 6.7% in April, and is below the forecast of 6.8%.

U.K. household incomes are in the longest-ever run of declines with real incomes falling for four straight quarters.


Lower stock index futures and weaker industrial commodity prices supported futures. The 30-year Treasury bond futures advanced to a three-week high.

There is an 82.0% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will hike its fed funds rate by 75 basis points and a 18.0% probability that the rate will increase by 50 basis points at the July 27 meeting.

Economic growth is slowing, maybe even sooner than expected, which should allow the Fed to soften its policy stance at some point. Financial futures markets are now predicting the Fed could return to accommodative late in 2023.

The fundamental and technical aspects of the interest rate market futures are improving.

Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.

ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.                  

A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.

© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.

Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone.  Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition.  The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM.  The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared.  The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets.  However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.

Latest News & Market Commentary

Explore the latest edition of The Ghost in the Machine

Explore Now