Index Futures Extend Rally


Stock index futures extended yesterday’s rally after the Senate passed a bill Thursday evening to raise the debt ceiling and prevent a U.S. default.

mobile screen trading

The debt ceiling agreement suspends the debt limit for two years. It reduces spending on some domestic programs and limits spending increases on the military, as well as expediting some energy projects.

Nonfarm payrolls in May were up 339,000 when a gain of 190,000 was expected and private payrolls increased 283,000 when up 165,000 was anticipated.

Manufacturing payrolls declined 2,000 when an increase of 8,000 was predicted.

The unemployment rate increased to 3.7% when 3.5% was estimated.

Average hourly earnings increased 0.3% as expected.

Futures continue to overperform the news.


The U.S. dollar index firmed when the U.S. employment report was released.

In spite of higher prices today, the greenback is lower and is headed for its first weekly drop in four weeks after comments from Federal Reserve officials suggesting the central bank will pause its tightening cycle in June. Fed Governor Philip Jefferson and Philadelphia Fed President Patrick Harker suggested this week the central bank would skip a rate increase at the next policy meeting.


Futures are lower but remain above major downtrend lines that were broken on the upside on Tuesday.

The Food and Agriculture Organization of the U.S. Food Price Index fell to 124.3 in May 2023, which is the lowest since April 2021 and compares to an upwardly revised 127.7 in April.

Financial futures markets are predicting there is a 65% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will keep its fed funds rate unchanged at its June 14 policy meeting, and there is a 35% chance of a 25 basis point increase.


Interested in more futures markets?  Explore our Market Dashboards here.

Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.

ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.                  

A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.

© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.

Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone.  Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition.  The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM.  The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared.  The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets.  However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.

Latest News & Market Commentary

Explore the latest edition of The Ghost in the Machine

Explore Now