FOMC Policy Meeting This Week
STOCK INDEX FUTURES
Stock index futures are lower today, after last week the S&P 500 advanced to a six-week high.
The January Dallas Federal Reserve’s manufacturing survey will be released at 9:30 central time. In December the survey showed -18.8.
This week is the busiest week for fourth quarter earnings releases with 107 S&P 500 companies reporting.
Stock index futures are likely to trade sideways ahead to the Wednesday’s Federal Open Market Committee meeting, as traders even up positions.
The U.S. dollar index is lower, although futures remain in a trading range.
Interest rate differentials are neutral for the U.S. dollar.
The German economy contracted by 0.2% in the fourth quarter, following growth of 0.5% in the third quarter.
Economic sentiment in the euro zone improved more than expected in January. The euro zone’s economic sentiment indicator, which is an aggregate measure of business and consumer confidence, increased to 99.9 in January from an upwardly revised 97.1 in December. This marks the highest level since June. Economists expected the index to come in at 96.8.
Traders are positioning for big monetary policy events this week, with the Federal Reserve decision due on Wednesday and both the Bank of England and the European Central Bank on Thursday. Both the BoE and the ECB are set to hike their key interest rates by 50 basis points.
INTEREST RATE MARKET FUTURES
The Federal Reserve will likely slow the pace of tightening at the end of its two-day policy meeting on Wednesday due to mounting evidence that inflation in the U.S has begun to ease.
According to financial futures markets, currently there is a 98.0% of probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will increase its fed funds rate by 25 basis points and a 2.0% probability of a 50 basis point hike at the February 1 policy meeting.
The long term outlook for futures is higher.
Interested in more futures markets? Explore our Market Dashboards here.
Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.
ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.
A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.
© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.
Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone. Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition. The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM. The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared. The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets. However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.