Fed Chair Speaks on Monetary Policy Today


The 8:45 central time May composite flash index is expected to be 55.5.

There are two 9:00 reports. April new home sales are anticipated to be 750,000 and the May Richmond Federal Reserve manufacturing index is estimated to be 14.

The main event today will likely be Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell’s speech at 11:20.

Monetary policy comments from the Fed Chair will probably be hawkish and stock index futures will likely remain under pressure in advance of his speech. However, once his speech has concluded at least a partial recovery is likely.


The U.S. dollar index was in an uptrend since May 2021. However, the greenback has underperformed in the last two weeks. This suggests traders may be sensing that later this year the Federal Reserve may back off of its hawkishness.

The euro currency advanced after the S&P global flash euro zone composite PMI fell to 54.9 in May from 55.8 in April, and below market forecasts of 55.3.

The British pound declined after an index of U.K. private sector growth unexpectedly fell in May.

Pressure on the pound was limited by news that the CBI distributive trades survey’s retail sales balance in the U.K. improved to -1.0 in May from a 13-month low of -35.0 in April, beating market forecasts of -30.0.

Japan’s manufacturing activity expanded at the slowest pace in three months in May.

The au Jibun Bank flash Japan manufacturing purchasing managers’ index  slipped to a seasonally adjusted 53.2 in May from a final 53.5 in April.

Interest rate differential expectations are turning neutral for the currency markets.


The 30-year Treasury bond futures are higher in response to lower stock index futures.

The Treasury will auction two-year notes today.

Financial futures markets are predicting there is an 88.0% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will hike its fed funds rate by 50 basis points and a 12.0% probability that the  rate will increase by 75 basis points at the June 15 policy meeting.

Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.

ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.                  

A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.

© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.

Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone.  Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition.  The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM.  The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared.  The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets.  However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.

Latest News & Market Commentary

Explore the latest edition of The Ghost in the Machine

Explore Now