Dollar Lower Despite Bullish Reports
Yesterday the U.S. dollar index advanced to its highest level since March. However, today the greenback is lower despite bullish on balance U.S. economic reports.
Longer term, interest rate differential expectations remain favorable for the greenback, especially against the European currencies, since the U.S. economy appears to be holding up relatively well compared to economies in Europe.
European Central Bank Governing Council member Bostjan Vasle said another interest rate increase cannot be ruled out, even after Thursday’s signal from ECB officials that borrowing costs may have reached a peak.
Wage growth in the euro zone eased slightly to 4.6% year-on-year during the second quarter, which is down from an upwardly revised 4.9% increase in the previous three-month period.
The Bank of England said U.K. consumers are expecting a small increase in inflation over the coming year. The anticipated price increase in 2024 is 3.6%, which is a slight increase from the 3.5% prediction made in May.
STOCK INDEX FUTURES
Stock index futures are lower.
The September Empire State manufacturing index was 1.9 when -10.0 was expected.
Import prices in August increased 0.5% when up 0.3% was anticipated, and export prices were up 1.3% when a gain of 0.4% was estimated.
Industrial production in August increased 0.4% when up 0.1% was predicted, and capacity utilization was 79.7% when 79.3% was forecast.
The 9:00 central time September consumer sentiment index report is expected to show 69.2.
INTEREST RATE MARKET FUTURES
Futures came under pressure when the 7:30 U.S. economic reports were released.
The Federal Open Market Committee is expected to keep its fed funds rate steady this month, while the probability of a quarter-point hike later in the year has been increasing.
Financial futures markets are predicting there is a 97% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will keep its fed funds rate unchanged at its September 20 policy meeting, and there is a 3% probability of a 25 basis point increase.
Financial markets are showing a consensus view that the Federal Open Market Committee meeting next week will not call for the end of its tightening cycle this month in its policy statement.
There is a 35% probability that the FOMC will hike its fed funds rate by 25 basis points at its November 1 policy meeting.
Interested in more futures markets? Explore our Market Dashboards here.
Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.
ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.
A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.
© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.
Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone. Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition. The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM. The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared. The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets. However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.